Dr. Tony Caiafa | BVSc BDSc MACVSc
Dr Caiafa happily accepts dental cases on a referral basis from primary care veterinarians. He is also happy to discuss possible referral cases with the primary care veterinarian or the pet’s owner.
Dr Caiafa is one of very few veterinarians in the world who is also a qualified human dentist. His experience in veterinary dentistry spans well over 20 years. He owned and worked in a Victorian small animal practice after graduating and developed an enthusiasm for orthopaedic surgery and veterinary dentistry.
Dr Caiafa started working at North Coast Veterinary Specialists(NCVS) in late 2009 and has steadily built up a reputation with both clients and referring veterinarians as a respected member of the NCVS team.
With skills in both human and veterinary dentistry, Dr Caiafa is always up to date with the latest treatments for premium oral care for pets.
To practice high quality veterinary dentistry, Tony has purchased state of the art equipment including portable dental X-ray machine and digital oral radiography equipment. He also has equipment for placing dental implants for pets.
- Periodontics or Management of periodontal (gum) disease
- Saving teeth through advanced periodontal care including gingival flap surgery, open root debridement
- Recommendations on home care products(oral hygiene) to prevent or control gum disease
- Oral Pathology
- Stomatitis (oral ulcers and inflammation) in both cats and dogs
- Immune mediated disease
- Oral masses
- Developmental defects of teeth
- Oral Surgery
- Oral trauma including management of jaw fractures, broken or displaced teeth
- Oral cancer management
- Salivary gland disease
- Oronasal fistula repair
- Difficult extractions
- Cleft palate surgery
- Root canal therapy and vital pulpotomy procedures for broken teeth
- Pulp capping procedures in young animals
- Restorative Dentistry
- Metal or porcelain crowns or caps for broken teeth
- Restorations (white fillings) for sensitive teeth, broken teeth or for poorly formed teeth
- Malocclusion (bad bite) assessment and correction or other treatment options if causing pain to the pet
- Oral RadiologyOral health and soundness checks for show animals
- Digital radiography for the detection of oral pathology involving the roots, gums or bone surrounding the teeth
- Oral implantology
- The placement of dental implants and implant crowns for missing or non-restorable teeth in pets